.

.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Chapter 3: Moving Out/Tub Tales: Life in a Tub

My next tub was in college. We shared a bathroom between five of us girls. One of the girls did not like me, for reasons unknown. I could not do anything right, in her opinion. She constantly complained that I left the tub dirty (even though there were five of us sharing it). Things finally got so tense and difficult between us, and could not be resolved, that I transferred to another school.

This next Bible College had no tub, just old mineral encrusted showers lined up in cement cubicles. It was my job to scrub these out. It was disappointing to never see results; it looked the same before as after. The school did have something going for it, though, since I met my husband there.

On our honeymoon, we rented a log cabin complete with fireplace, quilt, and cozy feeling. The tub there was so high that I banged my shins on it. We also rented the Victorian suite that boasted of a 4 poster bed and jacuzzi-now that was a tub!

We newlyweds moved into our first apartment, a newly redeemed building from the druggy era. It had badly warped walls (did they use to stash drugs there??), a missing window in the outside door, and the bathroom window had been painted with gaudy flowers to allow for privacy. But it was ours.

Our next apartment had carpet in the bathroom-who carpets a bathroom? Yuck! But it did have a beautiful large clawed-foot bathtub. It was deep! Lovely! This was a comfort especially during my time of miscarrying our first child.

Our next move took us from New Brunswick to Alberta for more Bible schooling. We had made the move with only what we could fit into the car. We drove until we were tired and called local churches for a free place to pitch our tent for the night. We only slept in that tent only one night,as most churches found us homes to stay in. One lady even let us have her room!

The four-plex that we moved into had everything in it: furniture, silverware, plates, etc. All that we needed God had abundantly provided. The upstairs and downstairs were divided by a communal landing and 2 flights of stairs. Awkward if you want to go to the bathroom at night and your bedroom is upstairs. We finally moved our bedroom to the less finished downstairs, since being pregnant with our first son made for many more trips to the bathroom.

We moved from the apartment to a rented house just weeks before our baby was born. I don't remember the bathroom. I don't remember much of anything, since I was so busy with a colicky baby.
my boy (right) all grown up with his friends

No comments:

Post a Comment