.

.

Friday, February 13, 2015

Chapter 1: The Younger Years/Tub Tales: Life in a Tub

*Note: I got this idea from one of my former posts. My hubby and I were reminiscing the other night about all the different tubs we have had over the years and thus Tub Tales was born. :)


My first tub was actually not a tub at all; it was the kitchen sink. Mom had to pump the water by hand and heat it on the wood stove. The round house we lived in was built by my father and grandfather. It had a wrap around porch that I enjoyed playing on with an old tea pot. One day mom heard me screaming and yelling like something was wrong. She ran to see and found me hanging off the edge of the deck by my hands! Then she let me down the two inches to the ground. I had not realized I could let go and touch the ground.

Mom and dad decided to move, when I was a year and a half years old, to go to Bible school. We lived in the trailer park on the grounds of the campus. Our trailer was a small affair that got smaller as we were joined by my younger sister and baby brother. Here we had a small tub, but the sink was occupied by the younger siblings. On the wall hung in the living room hung this painting on velvet:
I looked at it often and thought about it. 
My dad graduated and we moved into a Bible camp. He built another house-this one was with an all natural rock exterior. The tub here was a large claw style...but no running water because there was no electricity. Mom had to heat the water needed for these baths as well. We did eventually get running water. It was gravity fed, so it took a long time to fill the tub with the water that trickled out-and it was cold. There was a fresh water spring fed creek nearby that we would go to to get a drink. A box was built in the stream that had a hook and a cup hanging from it. The box was our fridge (the water kept things cold) and the cup was frequently dipped into the stream for a fresh, cold drink.

No comments:

Post a Comment